Mobi Groups
Download Free Apps & Games @ PHONEKY.com

EnterMetallica - Topics
Create Your Own App Store

* EnterMetallica > Topics

Subject: Torture Music
Replies: 12 Views: 1313

obl 2.05.09 - 07:30pm
Not surprisingly, many musicians arent happy with the United States governments choice to blast rock music at detainees in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Guantanamo Bay as a form of torture. *

obl 2.05.09 - 07:31pm
Among the bands whose music is being used for torture is Metallica; whose 1991 hit Enter Sandman is reportedly a popular song to play over and over again at top volume to detainees. Drummer Lars Ulrich of Metallica made an appearance on the MSNBC news program The Rachel Maddow Show to discuss the governments bizarre torture methods. *

obl 2.05.09 - 07:31pm
Responding to the idea that the music is used to create fear, disorient ... and prolong capture shock (a quote from Lt. Gen. Ricardo Sanchez, the man who authorized the use of music as torture), Ulrich says: If there are people that are dumb enough to use Metallica to interrogate prisoners, you're forgetting about all the music that's to the left of us. I can name, you know, 30 Norwegian death metal bands that would make Metallica sound like Simon and Garfunkle. *

obl 2.05.09 - 07:32pm
Lars isnt the only musician whos upset with how their music is being used. Guitarist Tom Morello of Rage Against The Machine has been particularly vocal about his distaste of the practice even going so far as to tell fans at a concert, I suggest that they level Guantanamo Bay, but they keep one small cell and they put [former U.S. President George W. Bush] in there ... and they blast some Rage Against the Machine. *

Not all musicians appear to be against it, however. Bassist Steve Benton of Drowning Pool was honored to hear that the bands song was being used on prisoners. People assume we should be offended that somebody in the military thinks our song is annoying enough that played over and over it can psychologically break someone down, he tells Spin magazine. I take it as an honor to think that perhaps our song could be used to quell another 9/11 attack or something like that. *

Military contractor Donald Vance from Chicago, IL was wrongly imprisoned in a military detention center in Iraq and said the tactics could make innocent men go mad. Vance told MSNBC that he was locked in an overcooled 9-foot-by-9-foot cell that had a speaker with a metal grate over it. Two large speakers stood in the hallway outside. The music was almost constant, mostly hard rock. *

obl 2.05.09 - 07:33pm
There was a lot of Nine Inch Nails, including March of the Pigs, he said. I couldnt tell you how many times I heard Queens We Will Rock You. *

He adds, I had no blanket or sheet. If I had, I would probably have tried suicide. I got to a few points toward the end where I thought, How can I do this? Actively plotting, How can I get away with it so they dont stop it? When asked to describe how it felt to be in his position, he said: It sort of removes you from you. You can no longer formulate your own thoughts when youre in an environment like that. *

Vance was eventually released after spending 97 days incarcerated. He says that even two years later he keeps his home very quiet. *

metalb0y 5.05.09 - 01:12pm
Wow Ulrich is actually speaking sense *

dannyps3 7.05.09 - 11:04pm
Yeah lars talking real sense. He doesn't annoy me as much as he use to lol *

obl 8.05.09 - 05:19pm
I always enjoyed his comments, wierd guy *

metalb0y 12.05.09 - 06:56pm
Lars has always been a funny guy. But he can be a real sometimes *

* EnterMetallica Forum

Search:
topics replies

* EnterMetallica